Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vesicoureteral reflux

What is vesicoureteral reflux you ask. It is when urine from the bladder flows back up into the kidneys, this is called vesicoureteral reflux. Urine normally goes only one way. When urine flows back up from the bladder to the kidneys, germs can get into the kidneys. This can lead to infection in the urinary tract. If reflux isn't noticed, the repeated infections can lead to scarring and disease of the kidneys. Reflux happens in about one-third of children who have urinary tract infections (UTIs).

This makes sense as to why Bella was getting sick every few weeks. I'm so glad we have got this figured out. Our experience at Primary Children's was really good. I'm so glad my Dr. had us go there. They were so great and patient with Bella. She cried through the whole procedure but it went surprisingly fast and was pretty easy. I know she was uncomfortable but she did so well. She would say "ouwie potty" and "Bella all done". It was sad for sure but I'm so glad we got to the root of the problem.
Our Dr. put her on a daily antibiotic for 3 months. If she doesn't get any infections during the 3 months she is on the antibiotic then he will take her off and see how she does. Both my Dr. and the Radiologist said a lot of times kids just grow out of this and it will eventually go away. But for now she will have to be on daily antibiotic to ward off any infection she will get from her urine going back up into her kidneys. And she will have to be retested again in a year. I hope this antibiotic works for her and she can stay well. If she does get an infection while taking the antibiotic we will have to try something else. So let's just pray this works so we don't have to mess with a bunch of other medications and or surgery.

Thanks for all the comments and calls of concern. We really appreciate it.

12 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm so happy you they got it figured out! I can't imagine how hard that must have been to watch her go through that.

J♥M said...

It's so nice to have an answer instead of the classic "I don't know, so let's try this!" I pray the antibiotic works and that this will be the end! It's so hard to watch such cute children go through this. And you deserve a gold medal for having to be the spectator of that ordeal!

Nick and Val said...

I'm glad there is a reason to her being sick all the time! I am happy that the testing is over...poor Bella. She can sure make that little hospital gown look cute though.

7packofbearss said...

I am so glad you have an answer. The antibiotics aren't that bad. Hopefully she grows out of it quick.

Rachel B said...

poor thing, i feel her pain! she looks cuter in the robe though, glad you were able to get some answers, make sure to keep giving her the probiotics since she is taking so many antibiotics!!

The Watts Family said...

Poor baby! So glad you know what it is now though. Best of luck to you and sweet Bella!

Jaron and Amy said...

Such a blessing they figured it out now!! I had the same thing but they didn't figure it out until I was 20...at that point I had to undergo major surgery. They told me that if they would've found it when I was a kid it could've been fixed without surgery...she'll be ok! So glad that you know what's wrong and now she can feel better.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Glad they figured out what is wrong though...I can't believe how grown up she is getting!

Shay said...

I am so glad you have an answer...to bad there is still the wait and see approach! I hope the antibiotics work though!
Bella is such a cute girl! We love her!

Adam and the Girls said...

I'm so sorry you guys. Boy I am glad you are near such a great hospital! oxoxoxox We are praying for a speedy recovery! ~Jeffi, Adam, Char and Savvy

Chrissy said...

Poor B, so glad it is figured out! Hopefully the antibiotics work. Keep us posted!

Hannah Jones said...

I hope she's still doing well on the antibiotics. She looks so tiny in that hospital gown! I didn't realize they made them that small! (Whenever I have something major happen I always love going out to eat too!) She deserved a treat!